Monday, November 13, 2017

Basketry Merit Badge (Camp Stool)

Back when I went to advance camp, a camp for Boy Scouts, I got a partial on the Basketry Merit Badge. That means I did some but not all of the requirements to get the Merit Badge. I still had to make two more things.

In the Basketry Merit Badge, one requirement is to make projects with different weaves. I made a twill weave camp stool. To make the weave, I wrapped reeds around poles, and then did a pattern of 4 rows. The first row is over two, under two, over two, the second over one, under two, over two, the third is under two, over two, under two, and the fourth under one, over two, under two.

Here is the completed stool.


Here I am in the process of making it. I had to soak the reeds in water to make sure they didn't break. I used a cooler.




The stool worked well, and it holds my weight! One more project to go, and then I will earn my Merit Badge!

1 comment: